“Mangoes to Share,” is a Miami based community project started in 2013 by Anna Milaeva, which feeds the homeless with mangoes and other fruit by donating it to local shelters and soup kitchens. Although the organization started with mangoes, now we accept avocado, lychee, star fruit, and citrus donations.
The idea was born when Anna was running past a neighbor’s mango tree. Amid an array of injured, insect-eaten fruits lolling on the ground, she spotted a picture-perfect mango. It spoke to her like a beacon of fleshy deliciousness. She picked it up, continued running, and eventually stopped mid-stride to eat it.
It was then that she wondered, Why so many mangoes are left to rot? So she started a Facebook page and rallied some of her closest friends to help find mango donors and volunteers. The collected fruits make their way to Camillus House, Lotus House, Miami Rescue Mission, and Chapman Partnership for Homeless in Broward with other charities in the works.
If you have a fruit tree that gives a lot of fruit, What are you doing with the surplus? Making jam and pie and this and that? Are you giving them away to family and friends?
You can donate them to Mangoes to Share and help feed the homeless. Although the organization started with mangoes, now we accept avocado, lychee, star fruit, and citrus donations.
THIS IS HOW IT WORKS
1. FRUIT DONORS
- Mangoes to Share can organize a pick-up from the location of your choice
- We will come to your property to pick any fruit you would like to donate from your trees or to get already gathered fruit and will deliver it to a local charitable organization
- Or you can just drop it off at an organization of your choice (if needed, we can provide you with the list of possible locations).
2. VOLUNTEERS and HELPERS (you don’t own any mangoes but you want to make a difference in your community).
- You can help us find tree owners who would like to donate their fruit surplus
- Help us spread the word on social media
- Help pick fruit and deliver to a participating location
- Establish contacts with local community organizations interested in receiving mango and other fruit donations
P.S. As an incentive anyone who helps with picking can get some free fruit collected that day (quantity TBD depending on the amount collected)
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Contact us HERE
- Please include your Name, Phone Number, Email Address, and your Location, and tell us whether you would like to be a Donor or a Volunteer (or both).
- We also receive monetary donations to be spent on gas, bags, fruit picking tools, and organization of fundraising events for other projects we are involved in. The donation form is below.
NO DONATION OR SUPPORT IS TOO SMALL, SHARING IS CARING. WE APPRECIATE EVERY LITTLE GRAIN OF SAND YOU ARE ABLE TO SHARE WITH US.
Contributions are tax-deductible under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)
To Give by Mail:
Simply mail your check made to “Mangoes to Share” specifying the project you would like us to apply your donation to or just write “general” to apply it where it must needed to
Mangoes to Share, 1300 Brickell Bay Drive, Ste 500, Miami, Florida 33131
To Give by Phone:
786-600-7394 and ask for “Donation by Phone” options
For wire transfers, other payment options, or sponsorship for events, you may contact us at the number above or email@example.com